Material Needs Grant Application
An anonymous benefactor has given ArtsWorcester a major gift to spur the creation of new art by members of ArtsWorcester. To be awarded for three consecutive years (2013, 2014, and 2015) the Material Needs Grants will support the expenses of supplies and materials. An annual sum of $5,000 will be divided into individual grants between $500 to $1,500.
The 2013 deadline has passed. Congratulations to Rose LeBeau, John LaPrade, Steve Butler, Matt Abelson, Irina Parfenova, Grace Cherubino, and Emily Sandagata who all were awarded funds through this program.
Here is what you need to know before you apply for 2014 funds:
What expenses could be covered by a Material Needs Grant? These grants are restricted to expenses incurred for the supplies, material, and equipment (purchased or rented) needed to make new art. Proposals for any and all kinds of visual art are welcome.
What expenses are not covered? Examples of expenses not covered would be studio rental, publicity and promotional costs, reception expenses, insurance or transport of artwork.
Who is eligible? All Artist-level members of ArtsWorcester who are residents of Worcester County are eligible. You may become a member in order to apply.
How do I join ArtsWorcester? Membership is open to all. A year-long Artist-level membership costs $45 and is tax-deductible. A membership can be purchased off of our website, by mail, or with a credit card over the telephone.
How do I apply? All applications must be made electronically using the form below. You will need to upload the following attachments:
- a curriculum vitae or a resume of your artistic accomplishments (maximum 3,000 characters, with spaces)
- a proposal describing the materials and the work you plan to complete with them (max 3,000 characters, with spaces)
- an estimated, simple budget for the supplies
- and 1-3 jpg images of related or previous work.
On the submission form below, please take careful note of the permitted formats and size limitations, and read the tips for easy submission.
How much can I ask for? The grants will be between $500 and $1,500 each.
What does ArtsWorcester want in return?
- ArtsWorcester plans to exhibit the pieces made by the awardees during the 2013-14 exhibition year (or at a later point if desirable).
- One year after the awards are made, all awardees will be required to submit 1) receipts for expenses incurred, 2) a brief letter describing the work completed with the materials, and 3) high-quality jpgs of it.
- ArtsWorcester reserves the right to use these credited images in our promotional material.
Can I apply more than once? You may submit one proposal each year. You are only eligible to receive one grant every three years.
What is the deadline? The deadline for the 2013 Material Needs Grant has passed. We'll open up the submission process for 2014 grants in late 2013.
When will I hear back from ArtsWorcester? All notifications will be made by email in early April.