Biennial 2013 Registration Form
Since 1985, the ArtsWorcester Biennial has exhibited the region's best in painting, photography, works on paper, sculpture, mixed media, fine craft, and, now, digital art. The fifteenth Biennial will be juried by Katherine French, Director of the Danforth Museum of Art. Awards, sponsored by the Worcester Art Museum, include the $500 Sally R. Bishop Prize for Best In Show, $200 for Best of Category, and $50 Honorable Mentions.
You may submit up to three works for a fee of $15 each. Current membershp is required. Artwork will be juried in two rounds. A preliminary selection will be made through the digital submissions. If your artwork is accepted for the second and final round, we will notify you that you should bring it into the gallery for final consideration.
Submission Requirements, Sales, and Insurance Information for the 2013 Biennial
- All applicants must be Exhibiting Artist members of ArtsWorcester. You may join or renew your membership through PayPal here, by mail with this form, or by phoning us with a credit card at 508.755.5142. The $45 annual membership fee is non-refundable and tax-deductible.
- A $15 fee applies for each artwork submitted, and must be paid in full by the deadline date of February 14th. A maximum of three artworks may be submitted for consideration. You may pay your submission fee via PayPal on the confirmation page following your submission, by mailing in a check, or by phoning us with a credit card number.
- Artwork must be original and be exhibition-ready (with hardware, picture-hanging wire, and framing as appropriate).
- Work must not have been previously submitted to or shown at ArtsWorcester.
- 2-D size is limited to 60 inches in any direction, including frame. Each element of a 3-D work is limited to 40 pounds (i.e., the total weight of a sculpture may be greater, but the separate pieces of it may not exceed 40 pounds each).
- Artists are responsible for delivery, pick-up, and insurance of their work to and from ArtsWorcester. ArtsWorcester will provide a loan agreement to all artists accepted for the Biennial.
- Sales are encouraged. A 40% commission will be deducted from all sales to support ArtsWorcester.
- ArtsWorcester will insure all work against loss or damage at 60% of its declared value.
- ArtsWorcester reserves the right to photograph artwork accepted for exhibition, and to use these images for the purposes of documentation, education, publicity (print and electronic), and fundraising.
- The deadline for submissions is Thursday, February 14th at 5 PM. Only electronic submissions will be accepted. No submissions after the deadline will be considered.
- To assist artists new to electronic submissions, Erb Photography will photograph up to three works per artist here at ArtsWorcester at the day-long "Capture," event, Sunday, February 10th. The member fee for this service is $20; for non-members, the fee is $35. For information on this event, appointments, and fee, visit the page for Capture.
- All notifications of preliminary acceptance will be made by email, by March 12, 2013. If your work is accepted for final consideration, please be prepared to transport it to ArtsWorcester for final jurying during one of these periods: Friday, March 22, 10 AM-6 PM and Saturday, March 23, 12-5 PM.
The opening reception for the Biennial will be held on Friday, April 12, from 6-8 PM. The exhibition will close at noon on Friday, May 31. Exhibited artworks must be picked up between 1:00 and 4:00 PM on Friday, May 31st and Saturday, June 1st.
A few tips for electronic submissions: Before you fill out the form, make sure all your attachments are in one of the specified formats and under 800 KB. Format specifications are next to each upload field. Then attach them all at once before you hit the "Submit" button. If an attachment is missing, is not in the correct format, or is larger than 800 KB, your submission will be kicked back to you, and you will have to go back and "choose" all your attachment files again (and that's no fun).
Use your picture viewing software (Office Picture Manager, Preview, PhotoShop) to make sure that your image files are no greater than 800 KB. For best viewing, they should also be at least 1000 by 1000 pixels in size (you may need to re-adjust the resolution to get the file size under 800 KB). If you need further help, here are general reference sites for Windows users and for Macs.
Mandatory fields are marked with a red asterik. Again, if you leave one out, you must re-enter your information and "choose" your attachments again.
We look forward to seeing your submissions, and good luck.